Thursday, September 1, 2016

When to take a Multi Vitamin?

So I was speaking with one of my children who lives in Cambodia in a very rural area (I won't mention her name because I don't want to embarrass her). Being the concerned father that I am, I asked her if she was taking a good multi vitamin. "Sure" she said. Usually when she was starting to feel sick. But she didn't think they worked very well because she usually still got sick.

Okay, so let me think about this... private school from pre-k to 12th grade, 4 years at an academically sound private college (and yes she graduated, I saw her walk) and this is her take away for good health: Take a vitamin when you feel like you're getting sick? Hmmm.

But then it started to make sense to me, and I realized that she was not alone. No, I am no longer talking about vitamins, but that could be true also. What I am talking about is that Ed and I have often had a client call us about a need to review their financial situation which involved a "sudden" concern. Now the topics of the "sudden" concern ranges from how to pay for college, having enough money for retirement, is their enough money for my wife and kids if/when I die, how will we pay the bills if I become disabled, will I have enough money if I have to go into a nursing home, etc...

Now I have to tell you Ed and I always feel a little good about this new found wisdom of our clients because these are common issues that we alert our clients to quite often. Did I mention "often". Yes, good because it is very often. But that warm, satisfied feeling sometimes doesn't last long when the college fund is for Johnnie who is starting his senior year at high school, or the retirement funding is for Bill and Marsha who would like to retire in 5 years, or Francis who is now very concerned about the cost of long term care because she is having a hip replacement in 4 weeks, etc..

Just like a multi vitamin which is most effective taken well in advance of and as a preventative to getting sick, financial solutions are best developed and implemented well in advance of the time they become "sudden concerns".

For the rest of this year, Ed and I are offering FREE financial consulting and a FREE Basic Financial Plan to all of our clients and to anyone referred by an existing client. Please contact us for details at 717.295.8881, or go to our website at Crosswalk Investments (Click on "Financial Analysis" under the "About Us" section to begin creating your individualized Financial Plan.)

Now I am wondering what else I didn't teach my kids. Is there a statute of limitations for parenting?

Please subscribe to our Blog by entering your email in the section to the right of this article where it says "Follow by Email". Please also comment or make suggestions for future blogs. Remember we are new at this, so be brutally honest with your comments and creatively brilliant about issues you would like us to write about. Thanks,

Disclaimer: The daughter referred to in this blog may or may not have actually said the exact words attributed to her and I may or may not have taken a little literary license

No comments: